Monday, June 2, 2008

Lawn Mowing Season

I don't want to sound negative, but .....
Lawn Mowing season really sucks, Not Mowing itself,But the lawn mowers.
I Started out the season, Got the Mowers out of cold storage, now the riding mower was also used all winter plowing snow,so there wasn't much to do to it, I got everything operational, then we started mowing, first the hand mower started acting up,and then we lost the engine on the riding mower. so, I cleaned the carburator on the push mower, started mowing the front yard, got 3/4ths done and it quit alltogether, now i'm without a mower. The other night I was at the neighbors house, I noticed an old riding mower in the weeds, so I promptly went to look at it,Because if it's sitting in someones pasture, somehow it's a jewel. The engine looked the same, So I asked my neighbor about it. His reply, much to MaryLyns Horror, was, "I would love it if you hauled that thing off". well he didn't have to tell me twice, I went right home and got the 4wheeler and a rope,took Christopher with me, and we drug that old mower home.(the tires were all flat and only one would hold air)
The first thing we did was put gas in it, and tried to start it, Funny, It started right up, it didn't run great, but it ran, For about 2 minutes.
After cleanig out the whole fuel system, we got it running again, and thought it was going to run good, so we gave it a test. First we engaged the mower deck, that was a thumbs up, then we tried the drive system, seemed to work good too. so I couldn't help myself, I had to try mowing the grass,( remember the flat tires). I sat on the machine, kinda fwabbled across the driveway to the grass, and engaged the mower deck. I couldn't believe it, it was working too good, it was mowing nice and even, and that was with flat tires too! Too good to be true!!
on the second pass,('cause one wasn't enough) it quit. so I'm now back to the begining except I have another junker in the yard. It's a good thing scrap iron is at an all time high, I'ld have alot of "Lawn Ornaments" in the yard.

4 comments:

Burbs said...

Oh my gosh Rohn!!! You've been like that since you were born! Always finding junk and knowing how or having the ability to make it work.. I haven't looked at your blog for a long time. It was very fun to see you've added lots to it. Happy Birthday to Christopher.
Love you guys!!!!!

Denise, Walt Bresg said...

here here, after reading this to Walt, he has given me the word to speak for him, his hatred for mowers and fixing of them. Our riding mower broke down end of season last year, with a broken blade housing. He replaced the broken part, was about tp start it but low and behold the key was missing. So he bought 3 more keys, and after recieving those a week late, started mowing. First pass up the hill, bent the blade now its a dual pass event. So he can relate.
You write great Rohn, I'm glad to read your blogs. Love you guys!

Switched For Life said...

Hi Rohn! I had no idea you had a blog until your mom sent out a link to hers with pics of Garth's homecoming, then of course I had to check out all the blogs she links to. Sounds like you and your family are doing well, just wanted to say a quick hi from me and my family. :)
Your cousin, Kristi

Annette & Ellsworth Curran said...

Yeah, sometimes I know having a lot of 'junk' around can be irritating but if it is 'good junk' (something you know you will use eventually) it is not so bad and I'm sure Marylyn appreciates the fact that you can fix just about anything in the world.
Love, Mom